Posts for tag: dr chopra
Silver diamine fluoride “SDF” is a potent fluoride substance used to prevent cavities, halt the growth of existing cavities, and prevent cavities from spreading to other teeth. It is made of silver, which helps to kill bacteria, fluoride, which helps to mineralize your teeth, and ammonia, which allows the solution stay concentrated.
How Is It Used?
Silver diamine fluoride is most commonly used on already existing cavities, to slow the progression. Still, it can also be used as a preventative technique to prevent cavities in high-risk cases. First, the areas are isolated and dried of moisture, as saliva can contaminate the areas and reduce the effectiveness of the SDF. Then the solution will be applied to the spot with either a brush or floss. SDF is proven to be more effective than fluoride varnish and doesn’t have to be applied as frequently to be effective.
Benefits of Silver Diamine Fluoride
- Helps slow/stop the development of cavities
- Kills bacteria associated with cavities
- Stops the spread of cavities to surrounding teeth
- Can buy time before a cavity needs to be fixed
- In some cases, it can eliminate the need to fix cavities on baby teeth before they fall out
- Only needs to be applied once per year
Side Effects of Silver Diamine Fluoride
Silver diamine fluoride is considered to be safe and effective for all ages. Although there are some contraindications for use:
- When a person has a silver allergy
- When a person has any oral ulcerations, canker sores or advanced gum disease
- When there is significant tooth decay that exposes the inside of the tooth
The most commonly noted side effect is that silver diamine fluoride stains the surfaces it is applied to. This means the tooth surfaces, as well as the tissue it touches, with a grey/black staining. Typically this is unnoticeable when applied to back teeth.
If you are interested in discussing the benefits of silver diamine fluoride or believe you are a candidate for it, we encourage you to contact us today to schedule an appointment.